Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"Heart...Soul..." what does it mean?

This post is a part of "Laughter Lives! Tuesday" on the Riggs Family Blog.
Be sure to check out their blog to read more posts from others... 

The theme for today's "Laughter Lives!" Tuesday  post is to share about funny or endearing ways that we say I love you...




"Heart...soul..." It is not just the title of my blog. It is so much more!

If you ever hear my husband or myself and most preciously, it has been passed on to my children... saying to each other as we say goodbye or are about to hang up the phone some 1/2 sung utterance as we hang up or walk away, What we are saying is "heart...soul!"
"What did you just say?" I will get from someone who doesn't know us well, or a strange look from a fellow co-worker as I hang up the phone. "What does it mean?"

Well, a long time ago, when Glenn and I first fell in love... we used to tell each other that we loved each other "with all of our hearts and souls." Well, that was a mouthful. And since we are SOOO in love and tell each other how we feel so much, it slowly evolved over time to "heart...soul!" This is great because it was our OWN special way of proclaiming our love anywhere... even when it might not be the most appropriate time!

Watching both Daniel and now Naomi saying "heart...soul" just warms my heart to a whole other degree. Daniel knows that it is only "our family" that says I love you like this, and he feels special! Naomi just started saying "heart...soul" back to us when we put her to bed at night. I melted the first time she sung back to me in her soft little voice, "heart...soul."

8 comments:

Jarka said...

oh that´s so sweet, really really cute post! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a Sweet and romantic story! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

How sweet - gave me goosebumps! :)

Bonnie said...

That is one of the sweetest stories I've read in a long time. Thank you for the smile today!

Lisa said...

Ohhhh how sweet! I love that your daughter is now saying it. What a great family tradition you have started.

Holly said...

it's the best when our adopted child returns our love!
What a neat way to say I love you!

Joy Pierce said...

How sweet! Joe and I always say "love ya....mean it". So if we are in a meeting, at work, etc. we can say "mean it" and we know what it means. Harrison always said "I love you all the numbers" when he was little and still does. Clara always has to add "all da numbers" to her I love you's also. I love little family things, they are so special!!!
Hugs!
Joy

Rich and Karyn Speakman said...

Oh man! If anything is going to pull at the heart strings, it's the image of your sweet little Naomi whispering that as she drifts off to sleep. You're doing a fantastic job as a mother and those two will NEVER feel unloved!